Spicy Sofritas Tofu
This is tofu. This is sofritas. This is like homemade Chipotle sofritas at its finest.
The truth is that I am sort of 75% there on tofu, like most people, I think? but I am 200% there on sofritas tofu – like the stuff you get at Chipotle, and as of now, the stuff that you make at home.
It’s to the point where Ineedthemeveryday.
There is no burrito, rice bowl, taco, quesadilla, breakfast skillet, or nacho platter that does not benefit in some way from a heap of spicy, saucy sofritas.
First of All, What is Sofritas?
Thanks to popularization from Chipotle, I think many people now associate the term sofritas specifically with spicy shredded or ground tofu in a peppery, tomatoey sauce. At Chipotle, sofritas = tofu.
But more generally, according to our lady of the internet, Wiki: “sofrito, sofregit, soffritto, or refogado is a sauce used as a base in Latin American, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese cooking. Preparations may vary, but it typically consists of aromatic ingredients cut into small pieces and sauteed or braised in cooking oil.”
Okay So… What’s in Sofritas?
Okay, good question.
- First and foremost, in this case, TOFU! Main ingredient.
- Chipotle peppers.
- Roasted poblanos.
- Salsa (shortcut ingredient to get us some onions, tomatoes, and rockstar flavor)
All the big flavor players get pureed into a sucker punch sauce and poured all over your crumbled, browned tofu, and the whole thing gets gently simmered into flavorful yumminess.
SO MUCH YUM.
Ways To Eat Sofritas
The sofritas is the showstopper, but don’t stop there.
- Bowls: with pinto beans, fresh guac, rice, and if you’re feeling fancy, maybe some tomatoes and corn, and sautéed peppers? YUM.
- Tacos! with more of the same.
- Burritos, like so.
- Vegan Crunchwraps. YES I SAID VEGAN CRUNCHWRAPS.
- In a tortilla casserole because what else?
- Just chips? Also, Cotija cheese because it’s so deliciously salty and I can’t not crumble that stuff on ev-er-y-thing.
This combination is everything my heart ever wanted in the homemade vegetarian Mexican food department.
How to Make Sofritas: The Easy Version
Step 1: Make a sauce.
Step 2: Pan fry and crumble some tofu. Beans or no beans – this is a choose your own adventure here, and there is no wrong answer. Add sauce and simmer.
Step 3: Sit your sofritas on a pile of hot, fluffy rice, add a nice thwap of guacamole, and BOOM! Instant happiness in a bowl.
Other Favorite Vegetarian Mexican-Inspired Goodness:
- Cauliflower Walnut Taco Meat
- Vegan Crunchwrap Supreme
- Easy Veggie Enchiladas
- Vegan Sheet Pan Fajitas
- Healthy Mexican Sweet Potato Skins
Check out our video for how to make Sofritas: