Creamy Thai Sweet Potato Curry
So now we know what kind of food they serve in heaven. It’s for surely gotta be sweet potato curry, for surely for sure. There just cannot be anything else.
I’m not just talking about just any old curry -> I’m talking about the kind of curry that hits that perfect spot between silky-creaminess and fire-breathing flavor all in one sweeping, saucy bite.
For example, just off the top of my head: Creamy Thai Sweet Potato Curry that can be made in about 20 minutes and that just makes your heart sing for joy when you remember that you have at least three servings of it left in the fridge and you are about to win big at Leftovers Lunch.
There is not one single thing I don’t love about this type of food.
You know those recipes that you make once, and then you make twice, and then suddenly a week has gone by and you’ve really only made that one same recipe and you realize that you’re either a boring person for making the same thing over and over again or (more accurately) a winner for knowing which recipes are worth your time?
It’s too good NOT to make. It is all this and more:
- COMFORT FOOD TO THE MAX
Let’s Talk Curry Paste
Store bought red curry paste works just fine in this recipe. It’s how I started making it, actually. But then I did something that ended up being magical: I started adding a spoonful of homemade yellow curry paste in with the store bought red curry paste and BOOM! Flavor explosion. Maybe it’s all in my mind, but probably not – the curry paste combo is just epically delicious.
You laugh now, but we’ll see who gets the last laugh here. WE’LL SEE.
Three Curry scenarios here:
- You are intimidated by curry-making. Just buy some red curry paste (available at most grocery stores these days) or grab some on Amazon because you have Prime with 2 day shipping, don’t you, you little smartie? I knew we were twinning on that. Curry Paste: http://amzn.to/2f1WVea (affiliate link)
- You are not intimidated by curry-paste-making. In which case you are probably too advanced to be reading this blog.
- You are semi-intimidated by curry-paste-making, but you are intrigued. Friend, you are the perfect middle child that I seek for this assignment. I so strongly encourage you to try your hand at making this adapted, familiar-ingredients version of homemade Thai yellow curry paste. Keep that jar of golden love close at hand because it will go on to gift you many batches of fragrant, cozy curries all through the winter with just the swish of your spoon. I am very, very excited for you.
How to Make Creamy Thai Sweet Potato Curry
Step 1: Start your HOMEMADE curry paste (you rockstar, you). Roast your garlic, shallots, and ginger. Hydrate your chili peppers. Blitz it all up in the food processor with some spices, lemongrass paste, and cilantro. Easy peasy.
Step 2: Add your shallots, sweet potatoes, and curry paste to the pot.
Step 3: In goes the coconut milk to make things extra luscious. Add your broth and cover. After your sweet potatoes have softened for a bit, add the spinach.
Step 4: Let your fresh herbs, peanuts, and fish sauce (omit if vegetarian/vegan!) join the party. Stir to combine.
Step 5: Serve over hot, fluffy rice and top with more peanuts and cilantro (obvi). DIVE IN and live your best curry-loving life.
All the Vegetarian Curry, Please
And if you’re into all the goodness that is vegetarian curry, here are a few other favorites to keep you full and happy:
- Instant Pot Cauliflower Curry
- Bangkok Coconut Curry Noodle Bowls
- Coconut Curry Ramen
- Red Curry Lentils (Instant Pot version, too!)
- 5-Ingredient Green Curry
Voila! Look at you, Curry Master.
Check out our video for how to make Sweet Potato Curry: